Warehouse Safety and Health Checklist: COVID-19
Is there a written Infectious Disease Preparedness Response plan, specific to COVID-19? If yes, has the Union asked for and received a copy?
What steps has your facility taken to protect safety and health?
Redesigning the workplace to encourage 6-feet distancing/spacing
Is your facility:
- Staggering start times to reduce the number of people coming and going at one time?
- Are workers spaced six feet apart at fixed workstations?
- In loading and unloading areas, are workers able to space 6-feet apart?
- Are you always able to stay six feet apart from all workers during the day? If no, where are the areas where workers aren’t spaced apart?
- Are break rooms/ lunchrooms redesigned to allow for 6-feet distancing?
- Have production standards been relaxed to allow for more social distancing between workers?
Cleaning and Sanitizing
Are workstations cleaned multiple times a day? If no, how often are workstations cleaned?
Are forklifts, power jacks and other powered moving equipment cleaned after each use?
Are bathrooms, break rooms, lunchrooms and other common areas cleaned regularly? If no, what areas at not cleaned?
Are protocols written for cleaning and sanitizing? Are EPA registered disinfectants used to sanitize?
Do workers who clean and sanitize have proper training and protective equipment?
Bathrooms and Hand Hygiene
Do bathrooms have running water, soap and hand dryers or paper towels?
Is hand sanitizer available throughout the plant, including:
- Upon entering the workplace
- In break rooms/lunchrooms
- In locker rooms
- In the hallways
- Easily accessible to all workers throughout the warehouse
Are workers provided extra breaks to wash/sanitize hands throughout the day? (Hand washing with soap and water for 20 seconds is more effective than hand-sanitizer as protection.)
Face Masks and another PPE
Are face coverings required upon entering the workplace?
Does the company encourage or require face coverings for all personnel inside the plant, including workers, management, vendors, contractors?
Does the company provide:
- Face Masks?
- If yes, what type of face masks are provided? ________________
- Is a new face mask provided at the beginning of every shift? If no, how often are face masks provided? _______________________
- Can a face mask be replaced, if it gets soiled or damaged? ______________
- Face shields?
- Gloves? If yes, can gloves be replaced if they get damaged or soiled?
Are workers instructed on proper donning and doffing procedures, to prevent contamination?
Has training been conducted on:
- Proper use of personal protective equipment or PPE, including putting on and taking off gloves and masks, to prevent contamination?
- Purpose and limitations of PPE
- Proper disposal procedures
Have workers been trained on symptoms and transmission of COVID-19?
Have workers been trained on proper hand hygiene?
Is the training conducted in languages understood by all workers?
Reporting Procedures: Illness/Symptoms of COVID-19?
Do workers understand the procedures to report illness or symptoms of COVID-19?
Are workers protected from retaliation if they report feeling ill or report or exhibit symptoms of COVID-19?
Procedures if a COVID-19 case is identified in the workplace
Do workers understand the procedures to follow if they receive a positive test for COVID-19?
Is the work area shut down for cleaning and sanitizing, where a worker has been identified with COVID-19?
Are workers identified who were in close contact with the infected individual?
- Are these workers contacted, to let them know they have been in contact with an infected individual?
- Are these workers instructed to self-monitor for symptoms?
Is there an area to isolate individuals who
- Have tested positive for COVID-19; or
- Developed symptoms during the workday; or
- Reported feeling ill
Is paid sick leave provided to workers who:
- Have tested positive for COVID-19?
- Waiting for COVID-19 test results?
- Diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Who are sick, and exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 but have not been tested?
Is your workplace conducting screening for all personnel who enter the workplace? If yes, who is conducting the screening?
___ Nurse ___ other health care provider ___ management ___ don’t know
Is the screening conducted in a way that provides privacy for each person being screened?
Do workers understand the procedures if a screening reveals that they may have symptoms of COVID-19 and will have to isolate at home?
What steps has your facility taken to protect drivers?
Are steps in place to assure that drivers can remain six feet apart from any customer or member of the public when making deliveries?
Have drivers been provided with materials/equipment to protect themselves and sanitize the truck such as masks, hand sanitizer, soap and/or disinfectant wipes?
Have you or anyone in your workplace experienced job-related retaliation related to COVID-19? (e.g. for asking for more protections) If yes, provide explanation.
Have quotas or work expectations changed during COVID-19? If so, how?